How to Obtain Recreational and Special Event Permits on the National Mall

How do I get a permit for recreation or special events on the Mall? What are the rules?

Permits for recreational use of the Mall are issued through two different offices: the DC Department of Parks and Recreation and the National Park Service. Contact information for DC Parks is at its Web site or 202-673-7667/7449. The National Park Service provides downloadable permits and rules for activities ranging from sports to special events at its Web site or call 202-619-7225.